Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I feel a lump in my breast, now what?





I asked myself this question just this past Friday.

"I feel a lump in my breast, now what?"

I am only 24 years old, I have a 2 years old son, a stepdaughter and a loving wife, what is this? The first thing I did what ask my wife to feel and make sure that I wasn't feeling things. Sure enough she feels something too. Now the panic sets in. I keep feeling it everyday to see if it went away, it didn't. Then I start to notice that my left breast feels bigger and it is sagging on one side. So my first day at work (I work at a doctors office) I make an appt to have an exam. The doctor also feels it and doesn't look like it is anything good.

The first she thing says is "You need to get a mammogram done."

Then I said "What do you think it is? Because I have had an infected Milk Duct before, but it didn't really feel like this."

She said "Welll its not and infected milk duct, and you have a family history of Breast Cancer so I think the next step is to get a mammogram and and then we will go from there."

I think to myself, I am only 24 years old could this really be happening?

And now I wait. That is what this game is hurry up and wait. And now I worry and wait for my mammogram on Monday. While I am waiting, I can't help but want to spend even more time with my family especially my son. To every woman out there, do your self-exams and get your yearly exams, don't put it off because it can only do good.

For more information please go to www.komen.org.

3 comments:

HeidiTri's said...

I'm sending you lots of positive energy. Keep us posted.

Felicia said...

That is so scary! I'll keep you in my prayers!

PennyCandy said...

Hopefully they will just be fybroid cysts and nothing else. Prayers and happy thoughts from this end as well. I totally understand the fear at 24 but you can't let it consume you.